WiFi at UVa
Connect Mac OS X to UVa’s Unencrypted wahoo Wireless Network
Before You Configure for wahoo WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
- Network registration is required for your computer’s wireless card, your smartphone, or mobile device:
- UVa faculty, staff, & students: Register on the UVa Network Registration website.
- Guests: You must have a UVa sponsor to access University WiFi; your sponsor can register for you using the UVa Network Device Registration or you may register yourself, using the Guest Network Registration and your sponsor-provided PIN.
- You must be within range of UVa’s unencrypted wahoo WiFi network (anywhere you see the encrypted cavalier WiFi network is available, wahoo is also available, though hidden)
- Your computer or device must have the correct time and date
- Your computer or device must have WiFi enabled
- UVa faculty, staff, & students:
- University Guests:
- Since guests of the University cannot connect to UVa’s encrypted cavalier wireless network, the instructions on this page are for you.
- Make use of any VPN resources provided by your own institution for network data protection.
Connect Mac OS X to wahoo WiFi
- Click the AirPort menu bar icon  located at the top of your screen. (If AirPort is off , select Turn AirPort On and then click the AirPort icon again.) From the drop-down menu, select Other…
The Closed Network window will appear.
- In the Network Name field, type wahoo (lowercase).
- Leave the Wireless Security drop-down set to None.
- Click the OK button (if you get an error, please confirm that your AirPort card is registered correctly).
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection unless you:
- Move out of range of the wahoo and cavalier wireless networks, or
- Turn off your WiFi.