WiFi at UVA
Manually Connect Windows 8 to UVA’s Encrypted cavalier Wireless Network
Before You Configure for cavalier WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
In addition to the general requirements to connect to cavalier WiFi, to manually configure you also must have:
- Access to a wired Ethernet network port at the University
- Administrator access to your computer
Manually Connect Windows 8 to cavalier WiFi
Prepare Your Computer
- Connect to the Internet via your wired Ethernet connection. (See how to connect to the UVA wired network.)
- Install any operating system updates and patches available through Windows Update.
Connect to Welcome_to_UVA_Wireless
- Connect to the Welcome_to_UVA_Wireless WiFi network. (view how to do this).
- In the Network sidebar, click on Welcome_to_UVA_Wireless to get the Connect button; leave the Connect automatically box empty.
- Click on the Connect button.
- Open a supported Web browser (such as Internet Explorer) or one will open automatically and you will be directed to the UVA Network Setup Tool site. But DO NOT proceed with that—instead, continue to the next step.
Install Your Personal Digital Certificate & Configure Settings for cavalier
- Get a personal digital certificate by following the instructions to manually get a certificate in Internet Explorer.
- Connect to the cavalier wireless network.
- Click on the WiFi or Network icon in the bottom right-hand system tray. This opens the Network sidebar again.
- Click on cavalier to bring up the connection settings.
- Verify the Connect automatically box is checked.
- Click Connect. This brings up the Checking network requirements screen.
- In the Checking network requirements screen:
- Do not put anything in the User name and Password boxes.
- Click on the Connect using a certificate line below the Password box.
- If asked to confirm connecting to the server, click Connect.
- If the connection is successful, the sidebar will display a status of Connected
next to the cavalier network name.
- Right-click on cavalier to display a new menu and chose
View connection properties.
- In the cavalier Wireless Network Properties window, be sure
the "Choose a network authentication method:" starts Microsoft: Smart Card or other
certificate and click on Settings.
- In the Smart Card or other Certificate Properties window, use the
scroll bar on the right side of the Trusted Root Certification Authorities box to
scroll down to USHER CA1 v1, and place a checkmark in the box to the left of
the first one.
- Click OK to save the selection of the USHER certificate and close the security settings box.
- Click OK in the cavalier Wireless Network Properties window to end configuration.
- Disconnect any wired connection, and open your browser to test the connection. Go to the UVA homepage.
- If that works, you are finished.
- If instead you are directed to UVA Network Device Registration, follow the instructions to register your wireless connection. After completing registration, wait 5 minutes, and then reboot your computer.
- Your computer should now successfully connect to cavalier.
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection to cavalier unless you:
- move out of range of the cavalier wireless network, or
- turn off your WiFi.