WiFi at UVA
Manually Connect Windows 7 to UVA’s Encrypted cavalier Wireless Network
Before You Configure for cavalier WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
In addition to the general requirements to connect to cavalier WiFi, to manually configure you also must have:
- Access to a wired Ethernet network port at the University
- Administrator access to your computer
Manually Connect Windows 7 to cavalier WiFi
Prepare Your Computer
- Connect to the Internet via your wired Ethernet connection. (See how to connect to the UVA wired network.)
- Install any operating system updates and patches available through Windows Update.
- Open a supported Web browser such as
- If your browser automatically connects to the UVA Network Device Registration page, follow the instructions to register your wired connection. Reboot when prompted.
- If your browser does not automatically connect to the Network Device Registration page, and you are able to visit other websites, your wired connection is already registered and you can continue to the next step.
Install Your Personal Digital Certificate & Configure Settings for cavalier
- Get a personal digital certificate by following the instructions to manually get a certificate in Internet Explorer.
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel, then Network & Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.
- From the Tasks menu, select Manage Wireless Networks.
- Click the Add button, then select Manually create a network profile.
- In the Network name field, type cavalier (be sure to use all lower case letters).
- From the Security types dropdown, select WPA2-Enterprise.
- From the Encryption type dropdown, select AES.
- Check the Start this connection automatically box and leave unchecked the Connect even if the network is not broadcasting box.
- Click the Next button.
- Select Change connection settings.
- Under the Connection tab, check only the Connect automatically… box.
- Click the Security tab.
- From the Choose a network authentication method dropdown, select Smart Card or other certificate.
- Click the Settings button.
- Make sure that Use a certificate on this computer is selected (along with Use simple certificate selection).
- Check the Validate server certificate box.
- Under Trusted Root Certification Authorities, check the USHER CA1 v1 box.
- Click the OK button to apply the settings and close the Change Settings… window.
- Click the Connect to… option.
- Select cavalier and click the Connect button. This may happen automatically in which case simply click the Cancel button.
- The actual connection may take 20-30 seconds. Once connected, you can close all open windows.
- Note: Reconnecting to the cavalier network after sleep mode, or upon restart, may take as long as a full minute.
- Disconnect any wired connection, and open your browser to test the connection. Go to the UVA homepage.
- If that works, you are finished.
- If instead you are directed to UVA Network Device Registration, follow the instructions to register your wireless connection. After completing registration, wait 5 minutes, and then reboot your computer.
- Your computer should now successfully connect to cavalier.
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection to cavalier unless you:
- move out of range of the cavalier wireless network, or
- turn off your WiFi.