WiFi at UVa
Connect Windows to UVa’s Encrypted jefferson Wireless Network
Before You Configure for jefferson WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
- You must be UVa faculty or staff authorized for access to jefferson by your Local Support Partner (LSP)
- You must be within range of UVa’s encrypted jefferson WiFi network (anywhere other than UVa residence halls where you see the encrypted cavalier WiFi network is available, jefferson is also available, though hidden)
- You must have applied all current patches available through Windows Update
- You must be configured to connect to the encrypted cavalier wireless network
- You must meet all the user responsibilities at all times for accessing (even intermittently) the More Secure Network, even when connected to a network with a lower level of security, as the protection provided by the More Secure Network is undermined if users introduce hacked or infected machines from the outside
Connect Windows to jefferson WiFi
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center.
- From the left menu, select Manage Wireless Networks.
- Click the Add button and then choose Manually create a network profile.
- Enter the following information:
- In the Network name field, type jefferson
- From the Security types dropdown, select WPA2-Enterprise.
- From the Encryption type dropdown, select AES.
- Check the Start this connection automatically box and the Connect even if the network is not broadcasting box.
- Click the Next button.
- Select Change connection settings.
- Under the Connection tab, check the Connect automatically… and the Connect even if the network is not broadcasting boxes.
- Click the Security tab
- From the Choose a network authentication method dropdown, select Smart Card or other certificate.
- Click the Settings button.
- Make sure that Use a certificate on this computer is selected (along with Use simple certificate selection).
- Check the Validate server certificate box.
- Under Trusted Root Certification Authorities, check the USHER CA1 v1 box.
- Click the OK button to apply the settings and close the Change Settings… window.
Make jefferson Your Preferred WiFi Network
- You should now see both cavalier and jefferson networks in the Manage Wireless Networks window.
- Right-click on the cavalier profile and go to Properties.
- Under the Connection tab, deselect Connect automatically… and click the OK button.
- If it’s not there already, move the jefferson profile to the top of the list by first selecting it, then clicking the Move Up arrow to place it first.
- To begin using the new settings, you can either reboot your computer or go to Start | Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center. You will see your active wireless connection. Click Disconnect.
- In the window that follows, click Connect to a network, select jefferson, and click the Connect button.
- After sleep or a restart, it can take your computer up to 2 minutes to connect automatically to jefferson WiFi. Also, the connection icon in your task bar may indicate that you are not connected to a wireless network, when in fact you are connected to jefferson.
- Check your connection status by going to the Network and Sharing Center control panel and clicking on Connect to a Network. That will indicate correctly whether or not you are connected.
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection to jefferson unless you:
- move out of range of the jefferson wireless network; or
- turn off your WiFi; or
- change your wireless network.