WiFi at UVa
Connect Windows to UVa’s Unencrypted wahoo Wireless Network
Before You Configure for wahoo WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
- Network registration is required for your computer’s wireless card, your smartphone, or mobile device:
- UVa faculty, staff, & students: Register on the UVa Network Registration website.
- Guests: You must have a UVa sponsor to access University WiFi; your sponsor can register for you using the UVa Network Device Registration or you may register yourself, using the Guest Network Registration and your sponsor-provided PIN.
- You must be within range of UVa’s unencrypted wahoo WiFi network (anywhere you see the encrypted cavalier WiFi network is available, wahoo is also available, though hidden)
- Your computer or device must have the correct time and date
- Your computer or device must have WiFi enabled
- UVa faculty, staff, & students:
- University Guests:
- Since guests of the University cannot connect to UVa’s encrypted cavalier wireless network, the instructions on this page are for you.
- Make use of any VPN resources provided by your own institution for network data protection.
Connect Windows to wahoo WiFi
Prepare your Computer
- Open the Start menu and click Connect To.
- Select Set up a connection or network, then Manually connect to a wireless network. Click the Next button.
- Configure your wahoo connection by entering the following settings:
- Network name: wahoo (lowercase)
- Security type: No authentication (Open)
- Click the box labeled Connect even if the network is not broadcasting.
- Click the Next button.
- Click Connect to…, select wahoo, and click the Connect button.
- After the connection has been made, click the Close button.
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection unless you:
- Move out of range of the wahoo and cavalier wireless networks, or
- Turn off your WiFi.